Monday, June 2, 2008

In Memory of the Father of Fashion

Yves Saint Laurent
1936 - 2008

Yves Saint Laurent passed away yesterday, June 2, at his home in Paris. He is responsible for some of the greatest fashion trends and his collections were always revolutionary. YSL was an incredible designer because he wasn't focused on the clothes; he was focused on the women who wore them. He once said, “Fashion isn’t just to decorate women, but to reassure them, give them confidence.” And that is what he did best. YSL had an uncanny ability to make women feel sexy, strong, and beautiful in his clothing. While he will be terribly missed his legacy remains an important part of fashions past, present, and future.


Some of the great designers commented on the tragic loss -

"He's my big fashion hero and always has been and it's really sad that he's gone," said Marc Jacobs Sunday night of Saint Laurent's death. "I and a couple of friends always say, 'How would Saint Laurent do it?' It's a kind of standard for chic, for youth, for sex appeal without vulgarity and overall beauty

Vera Wang said, "I think I'm in shock. I'm in fashion today because of him. I lived in Paris right next to his first couture house. I feel in love with fashion because of Yves Saint Laurent. He was the first international superstar in the modern era."

Jean Paul Gaultier added, "For me, Saint Laurent is and has always been the absolute master. In his work, I find the energy to do my work. He gave us glamour, he loves women—and he opened a lot of doors for fashion. What we are all doing is because of Saint Laurent. We all love him, and he knows that."

1 comment:

g.lock said...

i didn't know this. sad day. i bought 3 YSL shirts in london last year--they are some of my very favs.